Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Where You Lead, I Will Follow...

Well, not anywhere. But show me a good KAL and I will probably join. Who knew I was such a joiner! Look at the ones I've joined for the fall.

First there is the Warm Hands KAL which I joined last year. I made 4 or 5 pairs of mittens - all gifts, none for myself. This year I vow to make something to keep my hands warm - that is after I make my daughter's mittens and some fingerless gloves as gifts. Yeah, right, who am I kidding. I should probably get out the gloves with holes from last year (hope I didn't do anything stupid like throw them away in a fit of cleaning).

And I also joined the second Knitters Tea Swap. Yes, I am a coffee drinker - I just love my coffee. But this time of year I like to indulge in a cuppa during those chilly afternoons. Lately I have started a bad habit of drinking more coffee in the afternoon and I figure the tea would probably be better for me. I think I'd like to get one of those mugs with those filter things where you can use loose tea - maybe even bring one to work. I checked out the Adagio tea site - they have some cool stuff there.

And of course we cannot forget socks. Socks for sanity, socks for warmth. I always have a sock on the needles. So I joined in with many many other knitters who will be knitting socks during the month of October - Socktoberfest. Love this button.


I am also impatiently waiting for the Yarn Aboard explorers to show up at my doorstep. It's been fun watching their progress as they traverse the globe. I've had to hide away the stuff I bought to send on to the recipients after me. The sock yarn is not a problem since my pal prefers sportweight while I prefer fingering weight. However, the roving keeps calling out - come spin me - and I must turn a deaf ear.

And since I am planning on spinning my own sock yarn anyway, I figured I may as well join this. But I am leaning towards using my wheel instead of my spindle.

And then there's Rhinebeck Bingo. What an absolutely ingeneous idea and it should be a riot watching this go on at the festival.

Speaking of Rhinebeck, there has been knitting going on - frantic knitting.

The shawl calculator tells me I am about 55% done with this. My Diamond Fantasy Shawl that I hope to have done in time to wear to Rhinebeck. I was a little worried about having enough handspun to finish this. The need to spin some more may be my undoing, but I realized that I could always stop one repeat shorter if I need to. I've just started 15 repeats and the pattern calls for 19 and I am really noticing an increase in the time it takes me to complete one row. But I'm still enjoying it so that makes it fun. And hey, the song's right - diamonds are a girl's best friend.

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Joining these things is fun. And there's nothing wrong with following this crowd!

Karen said...

I like joining KAL's too. They keep me from from getting bored. You'll finish your shawl in time...there is lots of time left. ;) Easy for me to say, huh?

Unknown said...

I'm a joiner, too! I hope to see you at Rhinebeck in your beautiful shawl!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous shawl. Since I'm geographically close, I may be able to borrow it some time. :)
Elaine